In this article, we will try to find out why bespoke software applications are an important thing and explain whether your business need one.
There are three types of software your company can use and we will start with- Custom software, the one that is made to the requirements of the specific customer. It is either developed in-house or by a software development company.
- Flexibility. You won’t have to pay for features that you don’t need.
- Higher security. Firstly, it is used in your company only, so the hackers have fewer opportunities to study it and fewer incentives to attack it.
- Integrations. Not every off-the-shelf system will have all the necessary integration options.
The second one is- Customized
This is the middle ground between the off-the-shelf systems and custom software.
- Less expensive than fully custom. You save money on the pre-made functionalities.
- Community support. Open-source systems tend to grow helpful communities around them.
- Lower long-term cost. Free open-source software doesn’t require license payments
And the last one- Off-the-Shelf
The most popular distribution model is SaaS (software-as-a-service) which gives you access to the program in exchange for subscription payments.
This is what goes in favor of them:
- Low initial investment. Even small businesses can afford them.
- Predictable expenses. You can easily plan your budget in advance once you know how many licenses you need and how much does one cost
- Quick to start.
Whether you need customized software should be determined on a case-by-case basis. In case you still have questions (or want some help with making custom systems/customization) don’t hesitate to contact OF4 team.